This security focussed Smarter Kit comprises of the following gadgets:
- HomeMate WiFi Fingerprint Smart Door Lock
- HomeMate WiFi Smart Video Doorbell
- HomeMate Wi-Fi Motion Sensor
- TP-Link NC450 Cloud Camera
The WiFi Fingerprint Smart Door Lock and the WiFi Smart Video Doorbell are there to beef up your main door’s security and also provide ease of access. The lock features a whopping 5 different ways to unlock it – your fingerprint, your phone (via the smart app), a password, an RFID card and a good old mechanical key. You can easily give temporary codes for people to come in and also even monitor how many times the door was opened, at what times and by whom as well. The video doorbell allows you to see who’s at the front door without opening it and is also fitted with a mic and speaker for you to interact with whoever is outside before you open the door.
The Wi-Fi motion sensor works best in places where there normally shouldn’t be any motion – like a safe or even a garage. It’ll alert you the moment it detects any movement allowing you to respond quickly to check if someone has gained access to that particular area. You can even use it as a baby monitor, letting you know when your little one is awake and moving about. The Cloud Camera is an IP camera that you can access from anywhere using your smartphone. With its accompanying app, you can make it record when it senses movement, and even have it swivel it about on its axis to cover a wide range.
Here’s how to set it all up
- Unbox the Smart Door Lock and the Video Doorbell and install them yourself or have a professional do it. Insert batteries into the former and plug in the adapter for the latter.
- Download the Smart Life app on your smartphone and register for an account. Once that’s done, click on the + symbol on the top right to add devices. Then using the QR code scanning icon on the top extreme right, scan the QR codes provided with the items
- Using the provided instruction leaflet, set up the passcodes and fingerprints for the door lock and assign it names using the keypad on the lock itself. Similarly, set up the video doorbell using the same app.
- Remove the WiFi Motion sensor from the packaging and figure out where you want to place it. Peel the backing tape from the enclosure and stick it onto a surface. Position the sensor inside correctly so that it faces the area you want to cover.
- Hold down the black reset button for 5 seconds until the LED starts blinking and then navigate to the add devices screen in the Smart Life app. Go to Security & Sensor and search for PIR Sensor (Bluetooth) and connect your sensor by following the onscreen instructions.
- Take out the Cloud Camera and connect it to your home WiFi router by using an Ethernet cable. Make sure your phone is connected to the same WiFi network.
- Download the tpCamera app. Follow the onscreen instructions to add the camera to your TP-Link ID.
- For accessing all the other features of the cloud camera, download the TP-Link Camera Control Utility software on your PC.
- While your cloud camera is still connected by Ethernet and your PC is connected to the same network, set up the Camera Control Utility so that it recognizes your camera
- Relocate the camera and install it wherever you wish. You can now use the tpCamera app to get live feed from your camera while you can access the motion sensing and video recording features from the Camera Control Utility software.
And that’s it! You’re done. You will receive push notifications anytime anything happens at your front door or motion is detected. You can also remotely tune in to your cloud camera feed to make sure everything is okay in real time.
You’ve now successfully automated your home security. Now, why don’t you pick up another Smarter Kit and tackle another aspect of your house’s transition to a connected home of the future?