In case you needed a little reminder from the mythical makers of Internet acclaimed holiday, here’s another one this week that would do you some good. Today, the 15th of November is Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day where the online community urges everyone around to take on some sponge and detergent and head to the ice box.
This holiday was created by the home economists at Whirlpool Home Appliances in 1999 and was timed as such so that your refrigerator was cleaned for Thanksgiving and the Holiday Season that follows, in the US.
But it can be rather well-timed for us in India too this year since it’s a little post Diwali and we could do with some decluttering from Diwali leftovers. So, gear up your arsenal because a healthy refrigerator is a healthy you.
- Begin by emptying the refrigerator. Remove the food as well as all the drawers and shelves. It will be easier to clean an empty fridge.
- Make a cleaning solution using detergent and warm water. Then use a sponge to wipe the inside surfaces.
- For stains that won’t go away easily, mix a small amount of baking soda and a little warm water to make a thick paste. Use it then to clear up stubborn stains. This will also take care of unwanted odours.
- Meanwhile, clean the shelves and drawers thoroughly and wipe them dry, before you place them back in the refrigerator.
And with that, you’ve just ‘celebrated’ clean out your refrigerator day.
For additional care to avoid the usual yet unpleasant fridge smells you can follow these few hacks.
- To avoid odours in your vegetable bin, crumple a piece of brown paper grocery bag inside and leave it for two days. This will absorb the damp veggie smell.
- You can use a similar trick for the rest of the fridge compartments by leaving a bowl of lemon peels. This too has the capability to absorb unpleasant odours.
Also Read: Is Your Refrigerator Hauntingly Dysfunctional Enough to Let It Go?
cover image Courtesy: Shutterstock.com